by Vanderbilt, Gertrude Lefferts, 1824-
The Rev. Thomas M. Strong, D.D., for nearly forty years beloved pastor of the Reformed Church, Flatbush, collected, as far as practicable, facts pertaining to the early settlement of the town. These facts were in the first instance brought before the public in the form of lectures delivered before the Flatbush Literary Association. Subsequently, at the request of his friends, these lectures were collected in a volume, entitled “The History of the Town of Flatbush,” and published in 1842. Since the publication of this interesting volume, there have been great changes in this little town. The day is probably not far distant when it will become a part of the adjoining city of Brooklyn; then all traces of its village life and its individuality as a Dutch settlement will be lost.
Read the Full Book Below