by Corwin, Charles E. (Charles Edward), 1868-; Corwin, Edward Tanjore, 1834-1914
That body of Christians whose present official title is “The Reformed Church in America,” has, during its history, been known by various names. The letters from Holland addressed to the early churches of this body in America called them, “The Reformed Dutch Churches in New York and New Jersey.” With the expansion of the denomination after the Revolutionary War, the title appears, “The Reformed Dutch Churches in North America.” At the adoption of the Constitution in 1792, the name employed incidentally in the Minutes of the Synod is, “The Dutch Reformed Church in North America. But the name on the title page of the first edition of the Constitution, printed in 1793, is “The Reformed Dutch Church in the United States of America.” The same name was used in the second edition of 1815. In subsequent editions appears, “The Refd. Dutch Ch. of North America.” In the Act of Incorporation in 1819 the title is, “The Reformed Protestant Dutch Church.” This then became the official name of the Church.
Read the Full Book Below